Jeans look great on many women, no matter what your age is. But in order to look stylish in them over 40 you should choose your jeans with a little more thought. Here are some general guidelines to follow for wearing jeans after 40.
- Opt for a dark solid color. This looks dressy and has the added advantage of making you look slimmer.
- Heavily stone washed or bleached jeans often don’t look so good on older women.
- It’s also best to avoid ripped jeans.
- You can also opt for another even color, like grey or black. Just make sure the color is solid.
- Make sure that the jeans don’t cut into your stomach area. Muffin tops over jeans are not flattering!
- Do not show your stomach. Either tuck in your tops or wear tops big enough so they cover your stomach area.
- You shouldn’t have this problem if your covered up your stomach / back area properly, but just to make sure: don’t show your g-string!
- Flared jeans or wide legged jeans look great on many older women. It’s nice to wear high heels under them and ensure that the jeans have good length and almost touch the ground. This will really give you length to your legs.
- Skinny jeans or legging jeans will look great with tunics and longer tops.
- Jeans will already make you look younger so go easy on the rest of your outfit and your accessories. Best to keep it reasonably simple and classy.
- Cropped jeans can look good too if you have a decent length. These usually look best when tapered and are best worn with heels.
- As mentioned before, it’s best to dress up your look a bit while wearing jeans, so dressing in denim from head to toe is not recommended.
- Avoid really low rise cuts. Best to choose models with medium rise fitting. No mummy jeans please, as those look unflattering and will age you.
- I like comfort so I usually opt for jeans with some stretch. They usually also fit better.
- Avoid baggy jeans.
- Ensure that the jeans fit you well, and don’t go for jeans that are too tight.
- Don’t overdo the embellishments on jeans (or avoid them altogether).
As always these rules are not always meant to be followed and as any stylish woman will know, you should on occasion bend and break the guidelines! I recently featured Jeannie on my links with style in her ripped jeans, looking very stylish indeed.
Here are a few examples of some good jeans that you can buy online right now
- This stretch high rise flare is a dark wash, with a higher front and back rise, and a gorgeous flare that starts after your knee. With signature buttons and rivets, and R logo embroidery on right back pocket.
- The Legacy rich rinse legacy legging is super stretchy in a deep dark indigo. Legacy jeans legging has faux front pockets, so no pocket bag bulges. It is accentuated by a silver and black Rich and Skinny button and rivets.
- Midi straight leg jean is a mid-rise straight leg jean in the darkest indigo stretch denim. Great basic 5 pocket jean, zip fly, great stretch for extra comfort.
- These Phoebe jeans by Not Your Daughter’s Jeans stay stylish while slimming. The dark wash is easy to wear and the flared leg is simply flattering. Easy to combine with cozy sweaters to silky blouses.
How do you like to wear jeans? Did you set different rules for yourself after 40?