Jeans look great on many women, no matter what your age is. But in order to look stylish in them over 40 you should choose your jeans with a little more thought. Here are some general guidelines to follow for wearing jeans after 40.
- Opt for a dark solid color. This looks dressy and has the added advantage of making you look slimmer.
- White jeans also look great. More tips on how to wear white pants here.
- Heavily stone washed or bleached jeans are harder to wear and I personally avoid these.
- I’ve seen many 40+ women looking great in ripped jeans but I personally avoid these too.
- You can also opt for another solid color, like grey or black. Just make sure the color is solid.
- Make sure that the jeans don’t cut into your stomach area. Muffin tops over jeans are not flattering!
- Do not show your stomach. Either tuck in your tops or wear tops big enough so they cover your stomach area.
- You shouldn’t have this problem if your covered up your stomach / back area properly, but just to make sure: don’t show your g-string!
- Flared jeans or wide legged jeans look great on many older women. It’s nice to wear high heels under them and ensure that the jeans have good length and almost touch the ground. This will really lengthen your legs. You may like to check directions for your body shape to see which jeans would be best for you.
- Skinny jeans or legging jeans will look great with tunics and longer tops. You can see more tips for wearing leggings over 40 here.
- Jeans will already make you look younger so go easy on the rest of your outfit and your accessories. Best to keep it reasonably simple and classy.
- Cropped jeans can look good too if you have a decent length. These usually look best when tapered and are best worn with heels. More directions on cropped pants here.
- As mentioned before, it’s best to dress up your look a bit while wearing jeans, so dressing in denim from head to toe is not recommended.
- Boyfriend jeans are great for a casual vibe and are still very populur. You can also roll up your straight leg jeans.
- Avoid really low rise cuts. Best to choose models with medium rise fitting. No mummy jeans please, as those look unflattering and will age you. Not Your Daugthers Jeans is very popular amongst 40+ women and so is Kut from the Cloth. This season high rise jeans are back in, so you may like to stock up on them. I bought these from Paige. You can see how I wore them here.
- I like comfort so I usually opt for jeans with some stretch. They usually also fit better.
- Avoid really baggy jeans. Boyfriend jeans, however, are popular and can look great for casual days.
- Ensure that the jeans fit you well, and don’t go for jeans that are too tight. You need to be able to bend in them.
- Don’t overdo the embellishments on jeans (or avoid them altogether).
- Getting the height of your jeans is very important. When you find a pair you love, buy one to wear with flats and one to wear with heels!
As always these rules are not always meant to be followed and as any stylish woman will know, you should on occasion bend and break the guidelines! Jeannie who is over 50 is still rocking her ripped jeans and is looking very stylish indeed.
Here are a few examples of some great blue jeans that you can buy online right now
I can vouch for the Paige denim ‘Transcend – hidden hills’ bootcut jeans as I bought these myself and love them! They fit like a glove and feel soft on the legs. Buy them long enough to wear with heels and your legs will look a mile long.
How do you like to wear jeans? Did you set different rules for yourself after 40?