Wide legged pants are coming back on trend this season, especially white ones. I personally love wider pants which can be a very good choice of trousers for many women over 40.
- It’s great for short legged women like me, as flared pants are very leg lengthening when they fit well at the top. Be sure to wear them with (high) heels though.
- They may cover up your muffin top (if you have one) and hold your tummy in if you select a high waisted one.
- Pear shaped women also benefit from wearing wide legged pants as they draw attention to the ankle and hips appear narrower.
- If you are heavy at the top, flared pants will give you a nice silhouette.
However, not all wide legged pants are created equal. Some examples are:
- High waist – full flare: good if you want to hide a muffin top or want to create an hourglass figure as it accentuates the waist.
- Tight upper pants – small flare: good if you have skinny legs. Not so good if you have saddle bags.
- Standard leg – wide flare: Good to hide thicker thighs.
- Wide leg: very wide pants all over and good for tall women. Short or bulky women, be careful with this style!
Some additional tips on how to wear wide pants
- Buy them long. I don’t like the look of flared pants that are too short. It’s nice when your pants hide your high heels.
- Wide pants look particularly good if you define your waist with a belt.
- Try to balance the total look and wear something slim fitting on top. Flared pants can make for a very classical look so they will look great with a well fitted shirt.
- Although a slim fitting top is the easiest and most flattering way to wear wide pants, I also like to combine them with short dresses and wider tops. It’s a tougher look to pull of, but I personally like the silhouette it creates.
- Short people can also wear wide pants. Just make sure they are more fitted at the top and the pants don’t flare too much.
- Although wide legged pants can be perfect for the pear body shape, make sure you don’t have any side pockets as that will add extra bulk.
- Pear shapes also benefit from flat front pants, as opposed to pleated ones.
- Want even longer legs? Try flared pants with vertical stripes.
- Wear them with heels!
Want some more inspiration on wearing wide pants?
Here are some examples of how I have worn my favorite white flared pants.
- Casual and comfortable in black & white
- White trousers with cobalt blue top
- Wearing a short red dress over pants 2 different ways
- White and taupe
- Quite a few more variations in this article: how to wear white pants
- Worn with a pink short dress
- Navy Stye
Here are some newer looks with wide flares and jeans flares: how to wear flared pants.
Outfit details from the last 3 looks
Middle outfit: Equipment silk top (on sale), leather and jersey jacket, bought in sale, brand Arma collection, Lotus pumps (one of the most comfortable pumps ever!, here is a closed heel version), ring and bracelets Sistaphyre, red ring Saskia de Vries Designs
Bottom outfit: Paige flared jeans, very old tank top, H&M blazer, Lotus pumps
For even more ideas on how to wear wide leg pants, you can visit my special inspiration board on Pinterest: How to wear wide pants.
How do you wear wide pants?