Wide legged pants are very much on trend this season, especially colorful ones, and it’s a very good choice of trousers for many women over 40.
- It’s great for short legged women like me, as flared pants are very leg lengthening when they fit well at the top. Be sure to wear them with (high) heels though.
- They may cover up your muffin top (if you have one) and hold your tummy in if you select a high waisted one.
- Pear shaped women also benefit from wearing wide legged pants as they draw attention to the ankle and hips appear narrower.
- If you are heavy at the top, flared pants will give you a nice silhouette.
However, not all wide legged pants are created equally. Some examples are:
- High waist – full flare: good if you want to hide a muffin top or want to create an hourglass figure as it accentuates the waist.
- Tight upper pants – small flare: good if you have skinny legs. Not so good if you have saddle bags.
- Standard leg – wide flare: Good to hide thicker thighs.
- Wide leg: very wide pants all over and good for tall women. Short or bulky women, be careful with this style!
Some additional tips on how to wear flared pants
- Buy them long. I don’t like the look of flared pants that are too short. It’s nice when your pants hide your high heels.
- Flared pants look particularly good if you define your waist with a belt.
- Try to balance the total look and wear something slim fitting on top. Flared pants can make for a very classical look so they will look great with a well fitted shirt.
- Short people can also wear flared pants. Just make sure they are more fitted at the top and the pants don’t flare too much.
- Although wide legged pants can be perfect for the pear body shape, make sure you don’t have any side pockets as that will add extra bulk.
- Pear shapes also benefit from flat front pants, as opposed to pleated ones.
- Want even longer legs? Try flared pants with vertical stripes.
- Wear them with heels!
Here are some great wide legged pants that are available in shops right now:
Colorful flares (top image)
- Asos red high waist flare jeans
- Pink Zara Pallazzo trousers
- Orange Asos Tailored Ponti High Waisted Slim Flare Pants
- Purple Burberry structured cotton-blend crepe flared pants
- Banana Republic Sloan Fit Flared Pants (also available in black)
- Women’s Stella McCartney Wide-Leg Pants
- Martin Grant camel Wool-blend smoking pants
- Robert Rodriguez – Wide Leg Pant
Want some more inspiration?
Here are some examples of how I have worn my favorite white flared pants. Which of these 3 is your favorite?