Her fashion evolution has been dramatic and remarkable! Once upon a time, she was Posh Spice, wearing shiny catsuits and tiny black dresses. But now, Victoria Beckham dresses in an altogether different way. Let’s find out how to dress like Victoria Beckham.
Victoria Beckham shot to fame as part of girl power group the Spice Girls. She was the fashionista of the quintet and was usually dressed in a LBD. While everyone thought the tiny black mini dress she wore was Gucci, she’s since revealed it was actually from British high street chain Miss Selfridge.
Then, when she wed footballer David Beckham, they became the ultimate power couple, and she became not just a pop star, but a soccer WAG! She wore barely-there Versace dresses, dyed her hair blonde and wore extensions. Her most famous hairstyle, dubbed the Pob, was a bob cut much higher at the back and tapering to a dramatic point at the front.
But, if you were to describe Victoria Beckham style now, less is more. She is renowned for her classic way of dressing, with refined, yet relaxed silhouettes. She’s not afraid of color, but is also often seen in neutrals.
You only have to look at the images above to see how her style has evolved. Her most recent outfit is the one on the left with the white pants and shirt. With wide-legged pants, a luxe shirt, and oversized bag, it is a much more nonchalant style than the one she previously favored.
Here we break down Victoria Beckham’s chic style and put together a wardrobe inspired by her polished, often minimalist way of putting an outfit together. Here’s how to get her just-pulled-on but effortlessly chic look…
How to dress like Victoria Beckham?
- Go for a more natural look. Once sporting hair extensions and surgically-enhanced breasts, Victoria has gone for a much more natural look since starting her own eponymous fashion line.
- Don’t wear clothes which are too tight. Victoria maybe very svelte, but she generally doesn’t feel the need to show off her frame with tight-fitting pieces. Instead, she wears pieces which have a more relaxed fit, often going one size up.
- Invest in your wardrobe. Her wardrobe looks expensive because it is! Victoria would rather have fewer pieces than wear cheaper options. However, it is possible to get her look without her budget.
- Stick to knee and midi lengths. She may have been famous for flashing her legs in mini skirts in her Spice Girl days, but VB is now usually seen in skirt lengths which are either just below the knee, or a midi-length ending at the calf.
- Don’t over accessorize. Victoria tends to let her clothing speak for itself. Probably not surprising given that she’s usually dressed in Victoria Beckham! Her jewelry is minimal, although she might wear a masculine-style watch.
- Learn to layer. She often adds interest with a turtleneck or a shirt under a dress.
- Be inspired by menswear. Victoria likes a relaxed silhouette, so it makes complete sense that she often wears menswear-inspired pieces like tuxedo trousers and boyfriend blazers.
- Keep it classic but don’t be afraid to follow trends. It’s all about the details for Victoria. For example, she’s currently favoring bang-on-trend flat-top sunglasses which instantly update her style.
- Go monochrome, neutral or color block. She certainly isn’t afraid to play with color and you’ll often find Victoria color blocking. But she’s also a fan of a top-to-toe monochrome look in different shades of the same hue.
- Coordinate. She doesn’t tend to wear a lot of pattern. But, where she does make an exception is with coordinates. Choose a matching top and pants, or top and skirt. Victoria often favors a pajama-style co-ord.
- Wear sunglasses with everything!
Victoria’s go-to top is usually a shirt, often in a luxe fabric like silk. She deliberately goes one size up for a slouchy, relaxed feel, tucking her shirt into her pants or skirt. She also layers, wearing a shirt under a dress.
Victoria also loves turtlenecks, again worn on their own, or underneath a shirt or dress. She also likes a plain neutral tank top to wear under blazers, and has recently been dressing more casually in slogan tees and wide-legged pants.
Dresses and skirts
If Victoria has a signature style, it’s the midi length! Gone are the super short mini dresses from her Spice Girl days. Now, you will rarely see her knees – unless she’s on the beach! Her dresses are usually at least below the knee, and often a few inches longer.
Jackets and sweaters
When it comes to coats, Victoria likes long, lean lines. She has a number of coats in black and camel. She’s also a fan of the boyfriend blazer. Her knitwear choice is usually a turtleneck.
She either wears chunky turtlenecks with wide-legged pants, or she opts for slimmer fitting styles to layer under shirts and dresses.
When it comes to pant length, Victoria knows how to elongate her legs. She often wears wide-legged pants, with a tailored, yet relaxed fit.
She makes sure that her pants are worn over her shoes, making her legs look longer than they are. She’s 5′ 4” and knows how to dress for her height. There are more tips here on dressing if you are petite.
Shoes and boots
She used to be renowned for wearing heels everywhere. In fact, Victoria’s penchant for wearing towering heels was her trademark. But, while she hasn’t ditched the heels altogether, she has recently said she can’t do heels anymore when she’s at work.
She has been seen wearing white sneakers, slip-ons and sandals recently. Plus, if you’re not keen on wearing skyscraper heels, you can still get the same kind of look by swapping her high heels for either kitten heels, or pointed flats.
While Victoria is said to have a collection of engagement rings, she keeps the rest of her jewelry to a minimum. She does, however, love an oversized watch, to tie in with her menswear aesthetic. She’s also rarely seen without a pair of sunglasses, and she loves a big, slouchy bag.
When talking about accessories for fall 2018, she joked she’d be able to fit all four of her children into her oversized bags!
A camel coat and wide-legged pants
A color block midi dress
Boyfriend blazer and jeans
Slogan tee and wide-legged pants
Chunky turtleneck and wide-legged pants
A monochrome look with sneakers
Midi dress with tonal accessories
A silk shirt and pleated skirt
Wide-legged stripe pants with a silk shirt
What do you think of Victoria’s style? Are you a fan of the way her fashion sense has evolved over the decades?
Like this article? Save it on Pinterest!
Feature image by victoriabeckham
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no cost to you) which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!