Today I present you with a guest article by Shirley who loves to wear leggings over 40. Below she will give you some ideas on how to wear them. For my own comprehensive guide on the topic check out my guide on how to wear leggings over 40.
The truly great thing about leggings is that, when they’re not worn as trousers, they can suit a variety of body types and look age appropriate on women all across the age spectrum.
I feel that there are five important style rules for wearing leggings:
- Choose thick, non-shiny fabric like a double knit or high grade cotton. This fabric will hide any unsightly bulges, not be see-though and not look cheap.
- Layering is crucial. Think of leggings as tights rather than pants and put them under skirts, dresses, tunics or with an over-sized long white classic shirt.
- Choose longer tops (at least to mid-thigh) camouflage the crutch areastomach, and hips.
- Leggings can look tacky with the wrong footwear ie high heels, so I prefer flats, boots, or a low heel.
- Never wear leggings that are the same colour as your skin; otherwise you will look naked and bigger than you actually are.
In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the perfect black leggings because they are a classic staple in any wardrobe and in most cases, will slim your silhouette by elongating your legs. If you’re really feeling brave and confident, try a print legging with knee-high black boots and a black top that covers your bottom. This combination can look young and chic in a good way.
Always make sure the leggings you choose aren’t too tight or so sheer that your thighs wobble when you walk and your knees show through, at the same time make sure they aren’t so loose that they bag at the knees or anywhere else.
If you wear your leggings correctly they are a cozy, comfortable fashion staple that can be worn casually and depending on how you accessorize, take you from day to evening. I personally like quick and easy pieces that I feel great in and can be jazzed up with a well cut jacket, amazing bag, jewellery or a cute scarf.
Coco Chanel said to achieve great style always check your look then remove one accessory before venturing out, so keeping it simple is the best advice I can give anyone when it comes to style over 40.
When you concentrate on investing in a few good quality, modern and fashionable comfortable staples, designed with you in mind, you are on your way to a new, more stylish and more confident you.
Shirley is a social entrepreneur, life coach and creator of the perfect black leggings (PBL). She also writes a monthly relationship column for a top health and well being magazine. Find more info about her on her website.
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!