This is a refresher article on how to dress the hourglass body type with some new shoppable options. In this part of dressing for your body type series we will have a look at the hourglas body type.
Characteristics of the hourglass:
- Well defined (narrow) waist
- Hip and bust tend to be almost the same and quite big
The hourglass is seen by many as the ideal body shape, although it may also present some challenges if you have a significant bust.
You may also have gathered some weight around the abdomen area in which case you will have some characteristics of the apple body type as well. Some celebrities with this body shape include Nigella Lawson, Salma Hayek and Charlotte Church.
The aim of dressing for your body type
You will want to accentuate your very feminine body so fitted clothes (at the right places) are key. Another objective may be to elongate your legs.
How to dress the hourglass body type
- A good bra is essential for this body type. Make sure you get a good supportive bra that will thrust your bustforwards. You will want to wear mostly V-shaped tops or tops with a deep neckline. High necklines will just make your bust area too bulky
- Look for dresses that fit your boobs and elongate your waist. They should fit very snugly around that area.
- If you have some weight around the addomen then make sure your buy your dress in supportive fabric.
- T-shirts look nicest when they fit your waist, have a V-neck and have some accents on the shoulders.
- Get a coat that highlights your waist and featuress a V-neck.
- Wear single-breasted jackets that are tailored. They will often look best when left open to create a nice vertical line, which elongates
- Choose shirts that accentuate your boobs and that don’t have buttons all the way to the top.
- Tops that flare just below the boob area and go to below your crutch can be very flattering on trousers.
- Little fitted jackets that tuck in your boobs will look great on you.
- Use light scarves in winter to cover your open V-neck.
- Wear darker colors on top to make your boobs appear smaller.
- Pencil skirts that fit well are ideal for the hourglass as they accentuate your wonderful curves.
- Other skirts can work too but will usually look better when they end around the knee.
- Opt for flat front boot cut trousers, preferably with stretch for a snug fit.
- Choose shoes that accentuate your curves, like shoes with rounded toes, peep toes or bows.
What not to wear
- Avoid too many thrills on your clothes as they will add extra bulk to places where you don’t need it.
- Avoid excess fabric for the same reason.
- Often it’s best to avoid obvious waistbands or belts. Let your clothes accentuate your small waist.
- Flat lace-up shoes.
- Be careful with casual clothes. They make you look boxy.
If you would like to add to these guidelines, then please let me know. Below are some of the featured products and other options that you can buy online right now. If you see something fabulous that should be added to this list, let me know!
P.S.: Please note that the guidelines above are for general guidance only. Everyone is different and you certainly don’t have to stick to the above guidelines to dress well. If you want to find out about your own unique body type, figure priorities and how to create the perfect silhouette you will love our unique online style course!
For more great tips, weekly fashion inspiration as well as a FREE guide on how to find your style, fill in the form below! Enjoy!