I have not talked much about wearing glasses and getting the right eyewear even though it’s a hugely important part of your look. Glasses are right in the middle of your face so people cannot help but noticing them. So rather than spending lots of money on those really trendy shoes, you may want to invest in a good pair of glasses instead.
Here is why good eyewear is so important
- You only get that one chance to make a great first impression!
- Eyewear can completely change your look – and depending on the frame, can make you look sexier, more youthful, etc. The wrong pair can certainly have the opposite effect. It’s fun to experiment with different types and become more edgier one day and more romantic the next.
- Eyewear is an accessory. Like for your shoes and hand bags you will want to match your glasses to the rest of your outfit, so it becomes one integrated whole. Although it’s good to have one very versatile pair that fits with everything, it’s great fun to have more pairs in different colors and styles.
- Since glasses come in so many different colors and styles, why not have multiple to match your moods? You may even want to have different frames for office, free time or formal parties.
I’m very pleased that one of the best shops for high quality eyewear, Vizio Optic, has invited me to go through their shop and highlight some great eyewear options for women over 40. This shop specializes in specialty designer eyewear and brands that are usually not sold in more generic eyewear stores. Although they sell popular brands like Chanel and Ray Ban, most of their brands like Lafont, Face a Face, Oliver Goldsmith, etc. make ONLY eyewear. They only live and breathe eyewear designs and nothing else and focus on making things that are truly special. Another good example of such a brand is Swissflex, of which I will tell you more later.
What eyewear should women over 40 go for?
When it comes to glasses over 40 you will want to make sure that you pick glasses that do not age you.
- Boring and outdated frames
- Metal rims
- Frames that droop downward
- Half glasses
- Coke bottle lenses
Things to keep in mind when choosing your eyewear
- Try to add warmth and softness to your face. Translucent colors are often better than hard metals.
- Add color: one of the easiest ways to add a bit of hipness to your style.
- After 40 you will want things to go up not down, so choose frames that are horizontal and have a slight tilt at the outer edges. You will want to eye to be drawn upward!
- Get glasses that suit your face shape.
1. Face a Face 2. Etnia Bergen 3. Lafont
Sunglasses are a 40+ woman’s best friend!
If you are like me then your eyes show your age the most. In my case there are wrinkles and dark circles. The absolute best remedy for this are sunglasses which have the extra benefit of protecting your eyes from dangerous rays as well. You will hardly ever see me outside or in my car without them. Shops like VizioOptic will allow you to get your sunglasses with prescription glasses as well. Perfect for people like me who require glasses for driving.
1. Lindbergh 2. Lafront 3. Oliver Goldsmith
My personal experience with wearing glasses
I have been a life-long glasses wearer although I don’t often wear them in public. I have 4 sets of glasses:
- Sunglasses, frequently seen on the site. My black ones are at strength so perfect for driving!
- For driving and long distance
- For computer use: middle long distance
- For reading
I basically wear my glasses almost the whole day. Although I would love to wear some of the frames I feature above, my eyes are quite peculiar and I get distracted by glasses that are too small or have very bright frames. Some glasses tend to get heavy on my ears as well. For all the reasons mentioned above most of my glasses are now from a brand called Swissflex which is also sold by VizioOptic. These glasses are super light-weight and almost unbreakable. I know I could look a lot sexier and hipper (and I would definitely get one of the colorful frames featured above if I stepped out with glasses in public) but these are super practical. I also wear my ‘driving glasses’ at tennis. These glasses automatically change color when in sunlight so they also function as sunglasses. They are the only sunglasses I can tolerate on the tennis court!
For all the examples mentioned above and many, many more, head on over to VizioOptic. They truly have an amazing assortment of high quality glasses. Happy shopping!
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!