Diane von Furstenberg’s famous wrap dress turned 40 this year! That is a good reason to celebrate as this dress is just so perfect for many women over 40.
It’s hard to imagine actually that a dress that is so common and successful today is actually ONLY 40 years old.
It was a good reason for the brand to create a special exhibition for the dress.
Have a look at this quick video about the creation of the exhibition which features many of the printed wrap dresses.
Here is Diane herself talking about the dress and what is means to her and other women: freedom, empowerment and confidence.
Diane von Furstenberg’s name is always associated with the dress, something the designer has not always liked: “The wrap dress is the one thing that I owe everything to,” the fashion designer said at a press preview for the exhibit.
“She paid for all my bills and as a matter of fact, in French, we call the wrap dress ‘portefeuille,’ which means wallet … but sometimes I resented the wrap dress because whenever my name is there, it’s always ‘Diane von Furstenberg, the wrap dress’ and I always say ‘but I do other things too.'”
That has not kept her from celebrating the iconic dress though and she still creates many new versions every season.
Katherine, Duchess of Cambridge, is also often seen in (variations of) a wrap dress.
Why is the wrap dress such a flattering dress to wear?
- As the wrap dress hugs around the body and accents your waist, it works for all body types.
- The layers of the wraps camouflage the tummy, even more so when you choose a printed version of the dress.
- The V-cut neck adds to a flattering and womanly silhouette and is especially great for women with a larger bust.
- It’s always a great fit. This kind of dress does not mind a few extra inches on the waist line.
- A wrap dress is both great for the office and for the evening. Just add some fancier shoes and a clutch!
- A wrap dress looks great with both flats and heels.
- It’s easy to find and wear this dress with long sleeves which help keep you warm and give coverage for the arms that so many women like.
Do you like to wear a wrap dress? Why do you like it so much?