Since some articles are now 2 years old, I’m refreshing them with new insights and images. Today the apple shaped body.
This is continuation to our articles on how to dress for your body type. In this article we are going to look at the apple body shape.
As a quick reminder you have an apple body shape when:
- You have no defined waist
- Weight tends to form on the stomach
- Average to large bust size
This is a body shape that often develops after 40 when you start to experiences symptoms of (peri)menopause where many women experience the gain of weight around their waist.
To be honest this is not the easiest body shape to dress as many women with this shape will be well aware of. Some women tend to cover it all up with lose garments, which in most cases is not the right thing to do. But the fact is that you can look extremely good if you are wearing the right clothes! What you DO want to do is to create the nicest silhouette possible. For many apples you can do that by creating the illusion of a waist, highlight your cleavage and create nice vertical lines.
Below are some rough guidelines what will and will not work for many apple shaped women over 40.
What not to wear?
- Big puffa jackets
- Big shapeless garments that don’t show any waist
- Bulky trousers with lots of pockets and zippers at the front
- High necklines
- Tight clingy T-shirts
- Avoid wearing everything in one solid coloour. Better to mix colour with a texture
Which garments are good for an apple body shape?
- First of all, since a lot of attention is going to be drawn to the top part of your body, get yourself a good fitting bra.
- Tops that highlight your body at the slimmest point which is often just underneath your bust. They should have enough space for your belly but not be too wide.
- Buy t-shirts that are ruched in the middle. This will confuse the eye and you can’t tell that there’s a big tummy underneath.
- Get Tops with a V-neck to break up the size of your chest and create a lean line.
- Look for tops with a thicker texture that don’t cling so much. Woven tops can be great.
- The best height for tops is just belong your hipbone (when worn with pants)
- Patterns tend to look very good on a apple shape body as they flatter and camouflage.
- Tops should cover the whole belly area and end just below the hip bone.
- Shirts look nicest when they are tight just onderneath the boobs and then go out. Also try to get the v shape with your shirts.
- Choose tailored jackets that have a nice v shape at the top.
- Tops that draw attention to your arms with e.g. flares, a flit or embroidery will draw attention from your belly
- Having a tie at the waist is great as it highlights the waist and hides the belly.
- A straight duster coat that ends just above the knee will create a nice long silhouette.
- Structured jackets help to create a nice silhouette. Wear them over tops and make sure that they define your waistline.
- Make sure that the jacket fits the shoulder perfectly, so choose the size for your shoulders, not your belly. If you can’t close the jacket, you can always use a scarf to fill the gap if you like.
- Dresses should have their waistline just below the bust.
- It’s always good to have some detailing on the tummy area for camouflage.
- Get trousers that have zippers at the side to avoid adding extra bumps on the front.
- Trousers should be flared or straight and not cling to tummy or thighs. Avoid pleats.
- Also choose jeans that are tailored and either straight or flared. Trouser jeans are ideal.
- Pants with a high rise will create a nice silhouette.
- It’s best to get trousers with some stretch for extra comfort and a good fit.
- Choose skirts that have their zippers at the side.
- Structured pencil skirts work well, but keep them at knee length.
- Make sure that any pleats of skirts start below the belly to avoid adding extra volume.
If you would like to add to these guidelines, then please let me know. Also, if you are an apple shaped body type and are rocking an outfit, I would love to see it. Upload it into the style forum or send it to me at sylvia [at] 40plusstyle.com!
Below are some clothing suggestions for the apple shaped body. Use as inspiration or happy shopping!
P.S. Would you like to find out a lot more about your body type and get a whole range of recommendations for your outfits? Then sign up for My Private Stylist and get started instantly!