Like many women over 40 I always wonder whether I should let my hair go grey or color it. Obviously my decision so far has been to color it, but it’s certainly a very costly one. My hair occupies the largest chunk in my monthly beauty budget by far and I often wonder if it’s worth the money and hassle.
Add to that that for a big chunk of the month my hair looks less than perfect because of roots starting to grey again, and you could argue that it may be better just to adapt to grey.
Grey has also become increasingly popular with even young starlets like Pixie Geldoff adapting a grey hairstyle.
Let’s look at some of the advantages and disadvantages.
Factors in favor of coloring your hair
- Let’s face it grey hair usually does age you.
- Having a funky color can really add to your style.
- You can change colors whenever you feel like it. I like to change it up all the time. In fact I feel I should push myself a little bit further in that area.
- Some grey colors are nice while others not so much. The current trend seems to be the lighter more silverly color grey. Your grey hair may have a completely different color though.
- Letting your hair go grey may completely change your coloring. Clothes that have always looked good on you may no longer work.
Factors in favor of letting your hair go grey
- You save a LOT of money every month. That is, if you stick to the color grey that your hair has. Your hair may need additional coloring though.
- No more hassle of having to keep up with your roots. Save a lot of time AND money.
- Freeing your hair on monthly chemicals may be beneficial to the actual quality of your hair.
- You may look more natural. After a certain age people will expect you to have grey hair and will find it more natural that you are sporting a grey hairstyle.
- Your change of coloring may actually be beneficial to you. Perhaps your new color grey suits your (paling) skin tone better.
It’s not an easy decision. Both the pros and cons are quite convincing. I certainly am starting to get increasingly annoyed with the time and money it takes to keep up with my hair color.
There are lots of inspirational grey hairstyles on my pinterest board, so there is enough evidence that grey can look extremely good. For more tips, you can also check out my tips for the best hairstyles for women over 40.
I’d love to hear your opinion. What do you think? To let the hair go grey or not?
Images sources can be found on my Pinterest Board
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!