I have rather frizzy hair, which is made worse by the very humid weather here in Singapore. So I regularly go for a keratin straightening treatment to rid my hair of the frizz. Style by Louis was kind enough to provide me with a complimentary treatment this time. so I could document it for this blog and tell you a little bit more about it.
What is a keratin straightening treatment or Brazilian Blowout as it is popularly known?
Keratin straighening is a special treatment that removes the frizz from your hair and makes it a lot straighter and softer. The straightening treatment is based on the hairs’ natural protein Keratin, and is not a permanent treatment. It will last for about 3-5 months.
I have found the keratin straightening treatment to be very effective for my frizzy and unmanageable hair. I hardly ever have to use an iron straightener now and can just blowdry my hair and go.
Although this treatment is commonly referred to as the brazilian blowout™, this is actually a brand name. Not every hair salon uses the Brazilian Blowout™ products, (even though they may advertise it as Brazilian Bloowout™) but use other keratin products that achieve the same effect. The keratin treatment I received today was Kerastraight.
How does it work?
The process is quite straight forward.
1. Hair is washed with a special shampoo
2. Hair is then dried
3. Treatment is applied to the hair with a comb
4. The treatment is blowdryed into the hair
5. The treatment is then locked into the hair with a straightening iron
6. Some salons seem to wash the hair afterwards, but I was advised to keep it in for a couple of days
Here is a short video of the keratin treatment I received
- This seems to be a safe treatment for the hair as no harsh chemicals are used. I have found my hair to be softer and in an overall better condition afterwards.
- You will get straight, smooth and healthy looking hair in a short amount of time
- As opposed to the Japanese Straightening Perm the brazilian blowout™does not need to kill any hair and instead of growing out, the Brazilian method ensures that the hair fades out and this encourages fresh growth of hair.
- Feel like a star! It is claimed that celebrities like Halle Berry, Lindsay Lohan and Nicole Ritchie are all using it.
- It is not cheap. Expect to pay well over $300 (depending on the length of your hair)
- There have been some reports (by Oregon) that the treatment can be toxic if it contains formaldehyde. Some people have reported some irritation to eyes, nose or throat. Brazilian Blowout™ and Keratraight report on their website that their products are now formaldehyde free and tests have concluded that the products are safe to use. Other products may still contain formaldehyde so it is advisable to check with your salon if the keratin products they use are free of formaldehyde.
- If you are advised to leave in the product, it will take a few days before you can wash your hair.
Length of treatment and after care products
The Brazilian blowout™ and Kerastraight anti-frizz hair straightening treatment takes about two and a half hours to complete.
It is recommended that you use aftercare shampoo and conditioner products at home to prolong the effect of the treatment. You can find the full range of the original Brazilian Blowout products by clicking on the products at the bottom of this article.
Special promotion for Singapore readers
If you live in Singapore, you can now take advantage of a fantastic promotion by Style by Louis. 40PlusStyle readers receive a massive $200 off your first treatment at their salon.
Total treatment cost is either $400 or $450, depending on the length of your hair, so with this discount, total cost will only be $200 or $250.
To take advantage os this offer, all you need to do fill out the form below and the voucher will be sent to you.
Brazilian Blowout keratin straightening products you can buy online
- Brazilian Blowout Acai Anti-Frizz Shampoo
- Brazilian Blowout Acai Anti-Frizz Conditioner
- Brazilian Blowout Acai Deep Conditioning Masque
- Brazilian Blowout Acai Daily Smoothing Serum
Wishing you success with getting the hair you desire!
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no cost to you) which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!