Today I want to provide some general dressing guidelines for the inverted triangle body shape. If you don’t know what your body shape is, please revert to my article: how to determine your body shape.
Charateristics of the inverted rectangle are:
- Top part of your body is larger that your bottom part and you usually wear a bigger size on top
- Shoulders are wider than the hip
- Bust tends to be proportionally large
- Hips are small
This is quite a desirable shape as many clothes will look good on you. In fact many models nowadays have this body shape. Celebrities with this body shape include Demi Moore, Rene Zellweger, Naomi Campbell and Teri Hatcher.
The aim of dressing for this body type
If you desire to have what is considered to be the most ideal body shape, hourglass, you will want to draw attention away from your broad shoulders or big upper chest and draw attention to your slim lower body and often lean legs. You can apply the following guidelines dressing for this body type.
How to dress for your inverted triangle shape
- Create vertical lines with vertical stripes
- Open necklines and collars, like halter necks, v-necks and scoop necks
- Wear soft feminine textures to soften the shoulder line
- Avoid extra width and wear single breasted tailored jackets
- Wear jackets open to create a vertical line
- Wear jackets that are well structured at the shoulder
- Look for tops that will accentuate the waist, like tops with banding or nipping at the waist or wrap style tops
- Wear tops that accentuate a vertical line, so go for V-necks and keep your shirts unbuttoned
- Also find tops that balance the bust with your hips (if you have a large bust)
- Wear tops just below the hip bone
- Wear a darker color on top
- Wear strapless gowns and tops
- Use belts to define your waist even more
- Create more width and overall balance below with A-line or full skirts.
- Use bold textures to create more bulk.
- Horizontal stripes will make the lower body wider.
- Fuller leg width in trousers, full or bootleg pants. Colottes will work for you too.
- If trousers don’t fit your waist or bum, get them altered at the tailor.
- Have pockets or embelishments on your trousers or skirts.
- Wear bold and eye catching shoes.
What not to wear
- Avoid shoulder pads or anything that accentuates the shoulders
- Boat necks
- Horizontal lines on top
- Oversized collars or lapels on jackets
- Very chunky knits (if you want to wear these, choose a dark color)
- Big bold pattern and graphics on top as it has a widening effect
- Tapered skirts
P.S.: To find out more about your unique style and what would suit your body type and personality I highly recommend our style course!
For more great tips, weekly fashion inspiration as well as a FREE guide on how to find your style, subscribe to my weekly newsletter!