Even though you don’t always have to dress to flatter your body, I believe that you often look best when you highlight the things you like about yourself and downplay those parts that you would rather not emphasize.
Many women over 40 like to downplay their tummies and their upper arms.
Pauline was one of those women and since she could not find the perfect flattering tops in the store, she decided to create them herself and Covered Perfectly was born.
Today, let’s look at which tops would be best for your body type!
Even though every woman has their own unique shape, body types can generally be divided into 5 main categories. If you need to find out yours, you can read more about it here. If you combine your body shape with your vertical body type, you can work out some guidelines for yourself as to which clothes suit you best.
Pear body shape
Main objectives: highlight the upper body, bust and waist and widen your shoulders.
- Striped jacket with tie waist: emphasises the waist, draws attention to upper body with stripes and V-line layering
- Mandy: If you like to highlight your bust for a very feminine look then this is the perfect top for you!
- Tracy: Ruching on top combined with the V-line and the slim silhouette draw attention to your upper body.
- V-neck with stripes (no longer available): Horizontal stripes balance your upper body with your lower half while the asymmetrical lines and the V-neck have a slimming effect.
Apple body shape
Main objectives: highlight the bust, create the illusion of a waist or create vertical lines for a slimming effect.
- Flowing jacket: creating a column of color is very effective in hiding a tummy as it creates a slimming vertical line. The pattern of the jacket further disguises and detracts from your tummy.
- Color block woman’s top: Creates a slimming and lengthening effect with a vertical line while also accenting your waist.
- Mandy print orange snake: this top puts the emphasis on your bust and not your tummy. It creates an illusion of a waist too.
- Cascading vest: Creates a lengthening and slimming vertical line and camouflages the belly.
Hourglass body type
Main objectives: accentuate your very feminine shape with tops that fit the bust and accentuate your slim waist.
- Gathered front: a flattering top that will highlight your fabulous curves.
- Mandy print black and white: highlights you bust and drapes losely over your tummy.
- Tracy: this top will follow your hourglass body while losely draping over your belly.
- Striped jacket with tie-waist (similar): Don’t feel like highlighting your bust? Then layer your simple comfort top with a jacket that will highlight your fabulous waist.
Rectangle body type
Main objectives: either create more curves by defining the waist or opt for surrendering waist looks.
- Black and white cascading striped jacket: if you don’t feel the need to create more curves then this jacket will be perfect for rectangles. It still breaks up the rectangle shape with the horizontal stripes and is very effective at hiding your tummy.
- Dana cold shoulder: This top is perfect for adding some sex-appeal to your look!
- Tracy: if you like to add more shape and femininity to your rectangle body then this top does just that. It acccentuates the waist and flares out. Flare and shape is extra emphasised by the flare in the sleeeves as well.
- Mandy: If you like to add more curves and shape to your body, then Mandy will be a perfect top for you
Inverted triangle body type
Main objectives: If you like to achieve a more balanced hourglass look, you will want to draw attention away from your broad shoulders or big upper chest and draw attention to your slim lower body and often lean leg.
- In spirit by Mindy (similar): this darker color top with open neck line will minimise your upper half while still adding a touch of femininity with the flower print.
- Leopard print draped ladies top (similar): The v-neck draws attention away from your broad shoulders and creates a feminine look. Further enhanced by the print.
- Flowing jacket: The flowers soften your broad shoulders and the jacket creates a slimming vertical line
- Simple comfort pattern P: A flattering open neckline and a lovely print will camouflage a large bust.
The tops above are just a selection of the great assortment of tops available at Covered Perfectly so I encourage you to have a look at all their tops. 40+Style readers will enjoy a discount of 20% at checkout with the promotion code 40+!
Again I want to highlight that these guidelines are not set in stone. What works for you depends also on your specific personal style preferences. I hope though that these examples will give you some direction in your buying choices so you can find the perfect top for your body type and your style personality!
What is your preferred top for your body type?
This post was written in collaboration with Covered Perfectly
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!