This is a message for all women, young and old. the younger ones may be surprised.
I feel prettier now than when I was 20.
Crazy? Probably yes.
Of course my skin doesn’t look as smooth, my hair is drier and my body skin not quite so tight.
But I feel so much better about myself! I found my sense of style. I’ve accepted all my features, including my not so straight eyes for which I was mercilessly teased and my little tipped nose (well almost, still not so happy with my portruding teeth…).
And because of that confidence , I look better and I’m more attractive.
Also, I don’t care so much anymore about what others think about me. So I can make all my fashion and style choices, completely the way I like it. I don’t care anymore if I look ‘preppy’ one day and ‘rockchic’ the next. I don’t need to belong in one particular group. I just want to be myself and dress for the mood that I’m in.
Taking pictures and ‘exposting’ myself has helped as well. Not too long ago I could barely look at a picture of myself. All I would see are all the flaws that I still have and that are only increasing due to sagging skin. But now I see a confident women, happy with the life she is leading.
So how can you achieve that for yourself?
- Perhaps start taking pictures as well and appreciate how good you can look.
- Have some fun with the clothes you have, you may be surprised what great styles you can create.
- Get to understand your body type and choose clothes that flatter you
- Realise how wonderful you will think you look now when you are 20 years older. You may as well enjoy the body and face you have today!
- Look at the ladies at advanced style and be inspired by the kind of life you can still have at 98. (I’m only 45; I still have lots of time to enjoy)
- Enjoy life and do things you enjoy. Nothing will make you prettier than that.
Don’t get me wrong. Of course I would like to get some of my youth back! But I would want it with the confidence that I have now. It’s only now that I’m starting to wear high heals, or expose (part of) my chest. I wish I would have had the confidence to dress sexier, more elegant before. I didn’t do it then but I can still do it now. And so can you.
How about you? How do you feel about yourself now that you are over 40?
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no cost to you) which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!