Fall is around the corner and you may be thinking about adding new pieces to your wardrobe. It’s always good to add a few trendy pieces to your current wardrobe to look current and add a bit of styling fun! Today we give you ideas on how to do that for the Tan Shades trend!
To refresh your memory on current trends have a look at some of our trend reports for fall 2016:
- The best Fall 2016 runway trends
- The best Fall 2016 shoe trends for women over 40
- The best Fall 2016 accessory trends
Today I will focus on the tan shades trend and show you how to create a little capsule wardrobe around it. I will show you 9 looks you can easily incorporate into your daily style.
As a quick reminder about capsule wardrobes, a capsule wardrobe is a versatile approach to having the most multifunctional closet.
- The capsule wardrobe consists of pieces that are well coordinated (in other words, you can mix and match with ease)
- A capsule wardrobe also coordinates well with other pieces in your closet (such as neutral blazers, pants, etc.)
- They can range in number from a few pieces (such as 10 critical pieces) to about 30 pieces (including accessories).
The goal is to translate the runway trend to complete looks that work beyond Fashion week.
A capelet style blouse satisfies the cape trend that overtook the fall runways. In a neutral and clean shade, the look pairs well with pants or skirts and does a great job of creating the illusion of a thinner waistline.
We also embraced the tie-neck trend by selecting a crisp white blouse that is unassumingly chic and can be effortlessly dressed up or down. The shade of tan trend is incorporated with a lighter sweater that is minimal and multifunctional, and can be worn within a blazer for a dressier look or with jeans for a dressed down look.
- Phase Eight white cape sleeve blouse
- Belstaff silk blouse
- Equipment button-down shirt
- Warehouse breton sweater
- Irisk & Ink white tie-neck blouse
- Winser London boyfriend sweater
The beauty of the current season (and previous seasons), is that there are a multitude of pant leg styles that are in style. From wide leg to skinny jeans, your options are endless.
Key trends that you can incorporate are low key pinstripe pants in a flattering cut and shade (a navy blue if very multifunctional and classic), tan wide leg trousers (once again, these go with everything), and a pencil cut skirt.
- Marc Jacobs pinstripe trousers
- Self-Portrait tan wide leg pants
- BLK DNM black jeans
- Proenza Schouler gray jeans
- Moschino straight skirt
- River Island black panel skirt
If a full-on cape style dress is not your cup of tea, you can take a capelet style approach. The sleeves have a cape effect that gives you a hint of the look without being overly dramatic.
For a more structured and ruffle approach, go with a basic gray dress that includes ruffles on the hem. It’s a little extra without being too overwhelming and does not limit the times and places you can wear the look.
- Badgley Mischka black capelet dress
- Ariella Adeline metallic shift dress
- Adam Lippes tie-neck crepe dress
- J.Crew gray ruffle hem dress
Coats and Blazers
Two of the biggest coat trends to come off the runways for Fall were shearling or fur coats and navy military style coats.
To keep a fur or shearling coat purchase unregrettable, select a neutral color (I opted for black in this case) in a classic cut. This way, you get the edge of a trend with the staying power of a classic that will last you season after season.
To bring in the velvet trend, you can also opt for a velvet blazer in black, which carries enough of the trend in a way that is flexible enough for a variety of looks.
- Velvet black shearling coat
- Linea camel coat
- Tommy Hilfiger blue wool coat
- Hobbs waterfall trench coat
- MIH Jeans black velvet blazer
- Oui light grey jacket
Black straps and embellishments were the name of the game for this season’s shoe trends. Ankle straps play into this look without being too season or trend confined.
A classic pair of flats with a jeweled brooch-like embellishment has staying power, draws visual interest, and also ties in the brooch trend from this season.
Combine the shades of tan and animal print trends by selecting a leopard print pump or flat, with a print that serves as a neutral and can add interest to any look.
- Kate Spade black ankle strap pumps
- Badgley Mischka embellished round toe flats
- Shoes of Prey leopard print flats
- Bella Vita black double buckle boots
- Vaneli black tassel flats
Adding a pop of color or a unique and visually interesting accessory to your look is absolutely key (especially for the attention grabbing theme of this Fall).
Key trends in accessories this fall include long scarves, leather gloves, pearls, brooches, chokers, fur, and crossbody bags. Texture is also critical to this season’s looks, so go for chunkier necklaces, tasseled earrings, suede pieces, and soft fur in brighter tones to add a multi-dimensional and effortlessly chic tone to your look.
- Kenneth Jay Lane three-strand pearl necklace
- Calvin Klein black leather satchel
- Loeffler Randall suede crossbody bag
- Biba Biba scarf
- J.Crew leather print calf hair belt
- Vita Fede copper duster earrings
- Oscar de la Renta leaf brooch
- Questa gold statement choker
- Kate Spade leather gloves
- Max et Moi fur scarf
Here are 9 looks using the capsule pieces above
Explore the looks and pieces featured above below:
Will you incorporate tan hues into your fall wardrobe this year?