Summer has started and you are feeling the heat. Have you checked if you’re wearing enough SPF protection? Do you know if you have enough protection with just your foundation?
We all know about wearing sunscreen, but do we have enough in our daily makeup to combat those harmful UV rays?
The most important thing to look out for when choosing a foundation is whether the foundation contains SPF protection. Most foundations do include SPF protection, although it may be very limited.
However, that doesn’t mean you will have to apply sunscreen on top or change your foundation. It just means that you need to apply an SPF Primer before applying your foundation.
When purchasing foundations with SPF and SPF Primers, you are better off investing in a trusted product, rather than wearing cheaper versions. It’s your skin after all!
Here are some of the best makeup products with SPF.
Recommended SPF Primers
- NARS Pro-Prime Multi-Protect Primer, SPF 30
- Make Up For Ever UV PRIME – Daily Protective Make-up Primer, SPF 50
- Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Protect Broad Spectrum, SPF 30
- Chanel Le Blanc De Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base, SPF15
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Primer with Sunscreen, SPF15
- Clinique ‘Super City Block’ Oil-Free Daily Face Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 40
- Mac ‘Prep + Prime CC’ Colour Correcting Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Chantecaille Ultra Sun Protection Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 45 Primer
- Nars Pro-Prime Multi-Protect Primer SPF 30
- Mac ‘Prep + Prime’ Face Protect Lotion SPF 50
- Philosophy ‘the supernatural’ poreless, flawless spf 15
Recommended SPF Foundations
- Smashbox’s Camera Ready BB Cream – Lightweight, with amazing coverage, SPF 35 and ultra sweat-proof.
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer – a sheer, lightweight and buildable foundation that can be worn by all skin types, but especially those with acne-prone, sensitive or oily skin. This tinted moisturizer includes SPF 20 and comes in Oil free formula.
- Clinique Stay Matte Foundation – Sweat-proof in 80% humidity with a matte finish, great for a beach day.
- Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV Compact – Soft and Light for an on-the-go woman. It creates a beautiful soft base whilst giving you SPF34 protection. Fantastic for every woman’s handbag!
- Shiseido UV Protection Liquid Foundation – Dewy, full coverage and transfer-free with SPF42. Its water and oil resistant and long lasting.
- Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea Foundation – The concentrated, full-coverage fluid formula features 20 percent water to quench dry skin. Lightweight and hydrating with SPF 15.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation SPF 15 – A long-lasting foundation powered by Amazonian clay that contains a skin-perfecting formula with UVA/UVB SPF 15.
- Estée Lauder Broad Spectrum SPF 25 – A medium-to-full coverage makeup with a satin finish that also contains SPF 25.
- Smashbox Camera Ready Spectrum SPF 30 – This is a sheer-to-medium BB water with a liquid-silk texture that also offers sun protection.
- Urban Decay Naked Skin SPF 20 – Lightweight and oil free coverage with SPF 20 sun protection that comes in a universal shade.
- Bobbi Brown Intensive Skin Serum Foundation SPF 40 – A skin serum foundation for normal to dry skin type that offers great sun protection of SPF 40.
- Shiseido Synchro Liquid Foundation SPF 20. – This oil-free, long-lasting, and buildable coverage is foundation does not only include SPF 20 but is infused with Mother Thyme extract
- Studio Sculpt SPF 15 – A cream foundation that offers broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection with SPF 15 and provides medium full coverage with a more satin finish suited for normal to dry skin.
Do you use primer and / or foundation? What are your favorite brands?
Kelly is 40+Style’s makeup and beauty expert writer. She is a professional makeup artist currently residing in Singapore. For more information or bookings contact her through her website.
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. We receive a small commission (at no cost to you) which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!