I’m lucky enough to go on frequent holidays and even though I’m a seasoned traveler, packing for a holiday remains a challenge. Packing for longer term trips (3 weeks or more) is the toughest, but even short trips will require a bit of planning to make sure you look great while on holiday.
My packing routine
This week I’m going on a short trip of one week to sunny Cebu in the Philippines. It’s going to be a holiday with lots of sun, lunches at the beach and diners in the evening. I don’t think it will be cold at all so packing for this trip is relatively easy. It will take me about an hour.
This is what I usually do while packing for a short holiday
- I select all my favorite outfits of the moment that would be suitable for the trip on and place them on the bed
- I make piles for dresses, skirts, tops, bottom and outerwear
- Then I’ll start thinking about the amount of outfits I will need for the trip. How many evening outfits. How many beach outfits, how many cold weather outfits etc.
- I will then match the clothes and put them into little capsules. For example: if you have a top, skirt, trousers, cardigan, blouse, dress in the same color scheme, you can turn those 6 items into multiple outfits suitable for various weather conditions.
- I chose 1 flat and 1 dressy pair of shoes for the capsule
- For my long trips, I will need to be really strict and create good capsules as my suitcase will fill up really quickly. And let’s face it, as we get older, we are increasingly less capable of carrying heavy suitcases, so I’m always trying to keep them as light as possible (not always succeeding!)
- I choose the accessories that suit my capsules
How do you pack for your holidays?
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!