Most famously known for portraying fashion maven (and the source of the world’s wardrobe envy) Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City, Sarah Jessica Parker (SJP) has become a fashion icon in her own right.
In today’s article, we go behind the scenes of Sarah Jessica Parker’s iconic look and style, and translate her wardrobe into one that is both replicable and affordable.
So, what does it take to get your version of Sarah Jessica Parker’s look?
SJP has fun with her looks. She goes beyond function and dresses for her personality and aesthetic pleasure. The key to dressing like SJP is letting what strikes your fancy to shine and bringing couture onto main street.
Know your body type and flaunt it at every opportunity
You will often see SJP showing off her toned arms and shoulders and dressing for her body type. She sticks with what looks best on her and wears variations of the most flattering pieces.
Make a statement
What we certainly love SJP for are her unique statement pieces. From one off hats to the largest, multicolored brooches, she has eye and show stopping pieces that somehow pull the whole look together and are uniquely SJP
Whether throwing on a leather jacket over a feminine ruffled dress or a black tuxedo blazer over a long evening gown, SJP is known for taking feminine pieces and adding a dark and edgy spin to make the look more unique and approachable.
Run towards color
SJP doesn’t incorporate a few pops of color, she embraces color with a passion. She’s more often seen in grand schemes of color, as opposed to black and other neutrals. Furthermore, she often clashes color for a very unique and couture look that once again delivers a look that is effortless to put together but looks way more time intensive.
Shoes are anything but basic
SJP’s ability and desire to make a statement goes beyond her clothing and accessories. Shoes make a statement al on their own. From pointed toe satin pumps in shades of teal and red to glitter encased mary jane pumps, SJP’s shoes are always the type that bring an entire look together without being a departure from her style choices.
Here is a sample SJP wardrobe
- Joseph white silk chiffon blouse
- MIH Jeans striped cotton shirt
- Simplex Apparel gray tshirt
- Enzo Costa white long sleeve tshirt
- Red Valentino brocade top
- 3.1 Phillip Lim black scuba top
Dresses and Skirts
- Peter Pilotto ruffled silk dress
- Haute hippie silk organza dress
- Raoul pastel yellow pencil skirt
- Stella Jean multicolored printed skirt
- L.K. Bennett floral midi skirt
- House of Holland midi floral dress
- Helmut Lang tapered leather pants
- Proenza Schouler gray jeans
- R13 cuffed jeans
- Current/Elliot pink distressed jeans
- By Malene Birger leather tapered tan pants
- Iris and Ink white crepe pants
Jackets and Cardigans
- Alexander Wang black blazer
- Pure Collection boyfriend cashmere cardigan
- W118 by Walter Baker leather jacket
- French Connection denim jacket
Sweaters and Coats
- Barbour gray fisherman sweater
- Henri bendel plaid cape
- Rebecca Minkoff coat
- Miss Selfridge gray wrap coat
- Sam Edelman pink flats
- Marc Fisher teal lace up pumps
- Ivy Kirzhner black embellished booties
- SJP by Sarah Jessica Parker embellished mary janes
- Dolce Vita hightop sneakers
- Athena black pointy toe pump
- BP. Leopard print scarf
- Mila Schon white scarf
- Rag & Bone gray fedora hat
- Ted Baker black clutch
- Tom Ford sunglasses
- Tory Burch black leather tote
- Cynthia Desser statement wrap bracelet
- Gucci silk flower brooch
- Kate Spade burgundy chain purse
Here are 9 easily replicable looks
Explore all the pieces and looks featured above here below
Are you a fan of Sarah Jessica Parker’s style? What looks and pieces do you find most appealing?
Feature image by sarahjessicaparker
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!