Since starting this website I have really started thinking about my style and clothes. I spent a lot of time thinking about fashion, style and dressing well. But the amazing thing is: I haven’t actually bought anything since then.
The effects of analyzing your style and clothes
What I did do, is really start looking at my closet, its contents and its potential. These are some of the results:
- Instead of running to the shops to buy the latest and greatest trends, I have sourced my own closet and combined different pieces with eachother. I have found pieces that I hadn’t worn for a long time, but that I could wear in new ways.
- I started thinking about my style and the message I want to give with my clothes. I looked at some of the style icons and how some of their enduring style is still current today. I saw that some of my clothes fall into that enduring style category and that I could wear them with trendier pieces.
- I’m having lots of fun finding new combinations that work and to come up with new ones whenever I go out.
- I’m getting a very clear picture of which clothes are missing from my wardrobe.
It’s also been a good exercize to cut out pictures or display photos of favorites. I do it on my website, but you could easily make collages or inspiration boards.
This is very effective because:
- It prevents you from buying things on a whim. You’ve done your research so you clearly know what you want.
- If you don’t buy the items of your inspiration board straight away and let it settle in for a while, you know which styles you really like and which ones kind of fade away after a while. It’s great to stop those high fashion impulse buys.
- If you keep going back to a certain style in your pictures and keep missing it in your wardrobe, you will know that that is the thing to get.
The bottom line
I’m sure I’m going to get something new soon, but I’m very pleased with the results of just thinking about my style and clothes. As opposed to what you might expect, it does not lead to more purchases and obsession with fashion, instead it leads to far more selective and well-thought through choices, which will ultimately save a lot of money, time and frustration and will make me look more stylish in the process. If you want to know more be sure to follow my finding your style series.
How about you? Have you ever really thought about your wardrobe and your style? Have you analyzed it? Or are you happy with the way things are right now?
Image from closetfactory.com
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!