Whenever I or others bring up dressing after 40, and what we are supposed and not supposed to do, it can lead to lively debate. Either on this blog or elsewhere on the net.
The thing is, we all feel different about what a woman after 40 should look like.
The overall advice in style books always seems to be for more elegance, more cover-up, more subdued clothing. Although I feel that advice is changing somewhat.
I also offer my own advice for those who LIKE to have some GENERAL guidance on this subject in my article on how to dress after 40.
But on the whole, I feel that the most important aspect about style after 40 is to do what suits YOUR personal style and personality.
- Why would you change your style after 40, if you always dressed in bold prints and exuberant colors?
- Why would you lengthen your skirts when you are most proud of your legs and want to show them off to the world?
- Why would you cover up your arms, if you are happy with the way they look and just like to be cool?
- On the other hand why would anyone have the right to protest if you DO want to cover up those arms if you would rather highlight another body part?
- Or if you like to dress more conservatively as you get older?
How we dress all comes down to our personal preferences that suit OUR style personality. How we dress is our own personal choice.
What matters most is that we personally are happy with that choice.
Therefore it is really important that you understand your own personal style!
When you understand your style and what makes you happy, your overall appearance will improve.
- Your style will reflect who you are.
- The way you dress will make YOU happy.
- When you have discovered your own unique personal style and have learned how to dress your body well, you will feel confident and beautiful.
You may please a lot of people with your style and the way you dress or you may please a smaller number of people.
In the end it does not matter. Because the most important person that you need to please with your style is yourself. You have to dress in a way that makes YOU feel happy.
Then, when you understand your personal style, learn how to improve it!
When you have discovered your style personality and your unique personal style, you can start to refine it.
- Apply some general principles of silhouette and discover the ones that suit you best.
- Play with color and textures, accessories and shoes to make your style more refined and interesting.
- Pay attention to hair & makeup which can both make a huge difference in overall appearance.
Want to go on a journey to discover your style?
Discover something new about yourself.
Find out how you can make your outfits or overall appearance even more interesting.
And most of all: discover how to have fun with fashion!
Finding your own unique style and advancing it to the next level is an exciting journey of discovery. It’s fun! As style and fashion should be.
I created a fun 5 day challenge that you can join for free. All you have to do is sign up here and your start right away with the first day of the challenge.
Are you confident with your own style? Can you handle any criticism and don’t you care what anyone else thinks?
Illustration by Anja aka Curly Traveller
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!