If you have a big concert or a fancy gala to attend, creating a Smokey eye can add a bit of sophisticated drama to your look. Perfecting the Smokey eye is not limited to make-up fiends and artists alike, but to anyone with the correct tools and a little know-how.
These easy sultry eye steps will show you how to create a smokey eye after 40. They can take you from day to evening in no time!
Creating a smokey eye day look
Start with a fresh and flawless base, making sure you have already concealed the eye area for best results.
1. Sweep an Opaque or Bone coloured Eyeshadow all over the entire lid. (Mac eyeshadow in Arena)
2. Apply a medium tone Eyeshadow to three quarters of the lid like MAKE UP FOR EVER Eyeshadow in #127 from the MIDNIGHT GLOW Palette
3. Using the same Eyeshadow, layer the colour by concentrating the colour in the crease area for more affect.
4. Line both your top and bottom lashes with an Eye Pencil, getting as close to the lash line. MAC Kohl Pencil in SMOULDER
5. Soften the look by adding a Darker Eyeshadow and smudging with a brush or Cotton bud/Q-tip. MAKE UP FOR EVER Eyeshadow in #04 from the MIDNIGHT GLOW Palette
6. Continue to do this until you have your desired Smokey look.
Creating a smokey eye evening Look
7. Apply a thick coat of mascara after curling your eyelashes and some eyeliner.
- Lash Curler: SHU UEMURA Lash Curler
- Mascara: URBAN DECAY Cannonball Mascara
- Eyeliner: LANCOME Liner Plume
8. Add some natural false lashes.
9. Dab a white Eyeshadow, in matte or shimmer, into the corner of your eyes and under the brow bone.
10. Finally touch up your under eye concealer for a perfectly smooth and flawless look.
1. You can always play with colours for a Smokey look – try a plum purple, olive green, navy blues…
- URBAN DECAY Smoked Palette
- SEPHORA Smokey Eyes – IT Palette
- Makeup Forever Palette
- Ciaté London Smokey Suede eyes
2. You can even add a dash of shimmer to colours of your eyes in a variety of colours to create a variation.
- BOBBI BROWN Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow
- NARS Shimmer Eyeshadow
- Anastasia Beverly Hills shimmer eye shadow
- MAC Pigments
3. To avoid having panda eyes, conceal with a full coverage concealer.
4. To avoid your Eyeshadow colour fading, use an eye primer before the first step. This will help the staying power of your Eyeshadow in the heat.
Do you like to create a smokey eye look? Any favorite cosmetics or tips you like to share?
Kelly is 40+Style’s makeup and beauty expert writer. She is a professional makeup artist currently residing in Singapore. For more information or bookings contact her through her website.
Feature image by @jennysuemakeup
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!