Although a lot has changed since 10 years ago, 40+ plus size women still find it harder to find stores that sell fashionable and chic clothing for them. Most high-end brands still don’t cater to plus size women and neither do many low-end brands.
Some brands don’t carry plus size in their stores though but do carry them online.
I like to make it easier to find great clothing catered to plus size women by creating this online resource as there are lots of fabulous pieces to shop online now. No more excuses to look great even if you need a plus size!
I will kickstart this list with some of the best shops I have found. However, as I’m not a plus size shopper myself I would love to get the input of all my plus size readers. If you have a favorite shop, please let me know in the comments and I will add it to the list.
In addition to shops and brands I have also added some of my favorite pieces for fall at the bottom of this article.
The best department store with some favorite brands
Nordrstrom is a great place to start as they have a large plus size collection with many great brands. Here are just a few of my favorites:
- NYDJ Plus: one of my favorite brands for jeans. They have a great selection of comfortable jeans and pants for plus size women. They also stock blouses and tops.
- Eileen Fisher plus: another favorite of mine. Known for their superb fabrics and great layering pieces.
- Foxcroft has great blouses.
- Adrianna Papell has a great variety of beautiful dresses.
- Vince Camuto plus has a great variety of tops, pants and skirts.
- Michael Kors plus offers affordable options from the famous designer.
- Lauren Ralph Lauren plus: beautiful sweaters and coats.
- Tadashi Shoji: one of the best brands for cocktail dresses comes in plus sizes too.
Other department stores with good plus size collections
- Saks Fifth Avenue: stores a variety of premium brands for plus sizes
- Neiman Marcus: large plus-size collection for all occassions.
- Macy’s: large collection at different price points.
- JC Penny: very affordable styles.
- Bloomingdales plus: a good selection of quality brands.
- QVC: large collection that goes up to size 28W
Brands specialising in plus sized clothing
- Marina Rinaldi: this brand was especially created for plus size women and offers a large selection of clothes.
- Eloquii: trendy clothing from sizes 14 – 24.
- Evans: stocks sizes 10-28 and lets you shop by body type.
- Navabi: a worldwide leading brand for plus sizes with a large selection of plus size fashion.
- Igigi: specialty store for plus size women with colorful styles.
- Lane Bryant: A good selection of casual chic clothing.
- Mel Smith: Good basics and neutrals.
- Anna Scholz: premium clothing for UK sizes 14-28. The brand recently featured the 40+model Nicola Griffin in their campaign.
- Woman within: comfortable clothes for sizes 12w and up
- Just My Size: Very affordable clothing but be very picky on styles
General brands that stock plus sizes too
- E-shakti: this brand is famous for its dresses and they offer them in sizes 0-36.
- Asos plus: lots of affordable and trendy pieces, but pay attention to quality.
- Coldwater Creek plus: good basics
- Covered Perfectly: has a special section for plus size women with tops that are flattering and comfortable.
- Old Navy: their plus size section is great for jeans and sportswear.
- Modcloth Plus Size: you need to be selective at this brand but they do have a large selection.
- Northstyle: basics at affordable prices
- Talbots plus: great variety of plus size clothing
- Land’s End plus: more classical styles, especially good with outerwear and sweaters
- J Jill plus: carries sizes 16W – 28W
- Soft Surroundings: beautiful casual chic clothing up to US sizes 18
More recommendations from readers
I would love to hear from you now! What are your favorite shops for plus sizes? Let me know and I will add them to this list.