I know I said I was going to talk about a new challenge today, but I just saw the video Fabulous Fashionistas created by Sue Bourne and had to share it with you. UK bloggers have been raving about this show for a while (as the show was broadcast in the UK) but until now I had not actually seen it. The ravers were right. This is one marvellous video that will truly inspire you.
Its stars are:
- Daphne Selfe, 85, who is one of the most popular 80+ models.
- Gillian Lynne, 87, who looks like 57, likes mini skirts and is so flexible and energetic that she puts me to shame.
- Jean Woods, 75, who started a new career at 70 working at Gap.
- Sue Kreitzman, 73, who is fascinated by art and always incorporates that into her clothes.
- Jean Barker, Baroness Trumpington, 91, who sits in the house of lords as a conservative peer.
- Bridget Sojourner, 75,who looks stunning in clothes she finds for less than $10 in charity shops.
Here are just some of the fabulous quotes from the ladies.
“Don’t wear beige. It might kill you.”
” I don’t want to be too over the top. (Laughs) I AM over the top! What I mean is I like to keep a certain amount of elegance. Do I succeed? That is a matter of opinion. I want to just miss that point where I actually look like a clown.”
“Your style as one gets older is more noticable.”
“How I look is to do with my identity and the fun of it. It’s nothing to do with looking younger.”
“I want to inspire people that getting older is not a bad thing.”
Jean Barker, Baroness Trumpington
“How important is it to look after yourself? The moment you start to sort of let everything go is the moment that you are getting old.”
“I don’t give a damn what anybody says about me.”
“I love miniskirts.”
“It’s all about having a purpose. That is why I think retirement is dangerous.”
“I love fashion and I’m always interested in clothes. I used to make all my clothes.”
“If I like something, I tend to wear it a lot. So it does not bother me if someone says oh she’s got that dress on again. I put it on for me!”
“I’d like to think I’m streetstyle, more than smart. I wouldn’t want someone to come up to me and say oh you look smart.”
Do you want to grow old with energy and style?
It’s clear that all of these women have this in common. They:
- Love life and enjoy it as much as they can.
- Have a passion.
- Stay active.
- Have a steely determination and an absolute refusal to give in or give up.
- Care about their style and the way they look.
Be sure to buy it today and watch it!
The film is now up for sale here. I hope you buy it and support Sue Bourne’s work. We need to reward film makers like Sue who highlight and celebrate the older woman!
Did you see Fabulous Fashionistas? What did you think of it?