For more information on where to get all the above items, please visit this set at Polyvore.
I have previously highlighted the trends for Spring and Summer 2012 in my style report using the collections from the top designers. Now that Spring is almost here it will be interesting to see how other brands have translated the top trends into their collections. This week, let’s have a look at one of my favorite trends this season: the graphical trend.
How to incorporate trends into your wardrobe?
But first a litte bit more about how you can update your wardrobe with some of these trends. It is certainly not necessary to buy a whole new wardrobe incorporating all the latest trends. But picking something from the trends that you like is a great way to update your wardrobe. If you have a good wardrobe base with all the essential pieces, then usually just a few pieces each season is all you need. Here are few steps to keep in mind:
- Choose the trend that fits best with your style persona if you know that. Reading the style statement may help with that or you can just jot down some words that come to mind when you are thinking about your style
- Take some notes about all the pieces you already have. Do you still have a good black dress, black trousers, good pair of jeans, crisp white blouse etc.
- Have a look at the trends and see which pieces would suit your current wardrobe, but would also give it a bit of a boost. If we look at the graphical trend here, all you may have to buy is a great tunic (to wear solo or over your pants) and perhaps some funky shoes in a brighter colour to highlight the effect of different colour patterns.
- Go shopping with a clear purpose in mind. If you know what you need and want, it will be easier to sport the items that you are looking for. It’s a good idea to wear or bring some of the items that you wanted to combine with your new trendy items.
- If the items you are longing to have are very trendy, you may opt to shop in lower budget stores. It’s best to save your highest budget for the quality base garments of your closet and spend less on the really trendy items, as sometimes they may only last you one season.
- Try any bought items again at home and mix and match with your existing wardrobe. Be critical on fit, if it suits your body shape, if the colours match etc. If it is not perfect, return to the store.
Adding a graphical flavour to your wardrobe
With those guidelines in mind, let’s have a look what’s in store at the moment for the graphical trend. To me the graphical trend means playing with different colours and shapes. I especially like stripes or color blocks to play with. In the image at the top of this article, I’m playing with stripes and different colours and patterns. Adding a pop of colour or a stripe on your hat adds to the graphical element of the outfit.
Below are a few more fun elements that will make your outfits pop or give it a graphical feel. These are all available online right now.
1. Assad Mounser necklace 2. Vivienne Westwood bootie 3. Reed Krakoff tote 4. Melinda dress 5. ballet flats 6. black and white ballet flats 7. Rebecca Minkoff 8. BCBGMAXAZRIA Dress 9. Kate Spade necklace
You can see a complete overview of all my favorite items at Currnently Obsessed Me where you can ‘stalk’ me.
Are you going to incorporate the graphical trend into your wardrobe? What are some of the favorite items you have found?