Mascara has long been the favorite type of makeup for many women. It is designed to thicken or define the eyelashes and may also colour, lengthen or curl them, depending upon the type you choose.
Today, there are a huge variety of Mascaras available
- Clear mascaras or primers are designed to thicken the lashes without adding colour.
- Waterproof mascaras prevent smudging, help the lashes retain their curl, and reduce the tendency for lashes to clump together.
- Volumizing and lengthening mascaras act as temporary extensions for the eyelashes.
For Fuller lashes
Wiggle the applicator brush at the base of the lashes; this will give the appearance of fuller lashes.
To Reduce Clumping
Move the brush in a zig-zag pattern from the roots to the tips of the lashes.
For Long and Curling lashes
Always use an eyelash curler first; this can be manual or the “heated” (battery operated) curler. For additional staying power, always coat your lashes with Waterproof Mascara.
Mascara can be applied to all the eyelashes, but most women only apply it to the top lashes.
Every woman’s lash preference differs, so here is an easy way to find the best products for your style!
Everyday Use – For Sweatproof & Long-lasting
Thin Eyelashes – For Volume
Short Lashes – For Curling & Lengthening
Special Occasion – For the Ultimate Evening or Party look
- Never use your wand to pump the Mascara tube. This will introduce air to the tube, which dries it out quickly and allows bacteria to flourish.
- Don’t curl your lashes after you’ve applied your mascara – they can easily get stuck or break off.
- Always remove your Mascara before sleep; otherwise it can lead to brittle lashes.
- If the Mascara is getting goopy or thick, it is probably aged. A Mascara’s lifespan is only about 3 months. Make sure you replace it often and don’t share your Mascara with anyone else. This can lead to bacterial infections on your eyes.
Are you a lover of mascara? Which are your favorites?
Kelly is 40+Style’s makeup and beauty expert writer. She is a professional makeup artist currently residing in Singapore. For more information or bookings contact her through her website.
Feature image by @autismandredlipstick
Want to get more articles from 40+style in your inbox, subscribe here.
Support 40+style by using the links in our articles to shop. As an associate for Amazon and many other brands, we receive a small commission (at no cost to you) on qualifying purchases which enables us to keep creating amazing free content for you. Thanks!