Can the mother of the bride (or groom) wear pants to their child’s wedding?
While tradition suggests wearing a dress, the most important piece of advice I can offer is to wear what makes YOU feel most comfortable and beautiful. You can see lots of mother of the bride dress options here but there are also a number of options available to you if you choose not to wear a dress, which can still be appropriate for your child’s wedding.
The key is to make sure the look best fits the formality of the occasion. From flowy pants sets to draped luxe jumpsuits, in today’s article I show you how to best wear pants as mother of the bride or groom.
It is important to remember that the same rules when choosing the perfect dress still apply:
- Take your style cues from the bride’s dress and the style of the wedding party in general, e.g., lace as a running motif, or a 40’s theme.
- Match the outfit appropriately to the venue, i.e., covered arms for a church wedding, but more flesh-baring outfits for a beach wedding.
- Wait until the bride has chosen her dress before you start shopping so that you can plan for any last minute changes to the overall look of the wedding party
- Badgley Mischka embellished chiffon jumpsuit
- Phase Eight bolero
- BP. rose gold heels
- Glint beaded clutch
- Jacques Vert purple lace top
- Jacques Vert purple trousers
- Nine West black heels
- Vince Camuto crossbody bag
- Edun silk blouse
- Diane von Furstenberg lace jacket
- Raoul gray slim leg trousers
- Sam Edelman nude pumps
- Tory Burch nude clutch
A number of jumpsuit options are available that provide a dressy look, while still maintaining the cut and styling pants. Consider wearing a sleeveless pair with a cropped jacket (as shown above) or with a blazer to both (a) keep you warm if you happen to be indoors in a cold space and (b) add another chic dimension to your look.
- Adrianna Papell v-neck jumpsuit
- HALSTON HERITAGE Embellished pleated georgette jumpsuit
- Adrianna Papell mesh jumpsuit
- Alberta Ferretti jumpsuit
Pant sets are another fashionable approach to take when deciding how to wear pants for your mother of the bride/groom look. They come as a set and are often made of chiffon and silk material. The pants are generally flowy, which creates a more dressed up look. Certain pant sets are also quite formal (a number of less formal options are also available). Make sure you get this properly tailored, as fit is absolutely essential to making sure you look your best in these sets.
- Emma Street Lace Chiffon Pant Set
- Le Bos Evening 3-Piece Chiffon Pant Set
- Emma Street Plus Metallic Lace 2-Piece Pant Set
- R & M Richards Illusion Mock 3-Piece Pant Set
For less formal weddings, putting together a jacket and trouser combination is a great option. The key here is to opt for tailored pieces with some contrasts in color to make it look less like office attire and more appropriate for a social occasion. Consider wide leg trousers, as well, as these can create bit more of a dramatic look that pairs well with the event.
Shop the looks featured above and more below
What are your thoughts on wearing pants as the mother of the bride/groom to the wedding?