If you’re over 40, you definitely remember this trend from the 80’s and 90’s, the high waisted blue jeans. Jeans with a high waist were popular then and this trend is back.
So how do women over 40 wear the high-waisted crop jean trend?
We’ve got some tips on how to wear the high-waisted jeans trend and make it look stylish and flattering for you.
First of all, what exactly is a high-waisted jean?
High waisted or high rise jeans hit at or above your waistline. A high-waisted or high rise jean has a rise of approx. 10 inches (or 25.4 cm). The rise is the length measured from the crotch seam to the waistband.
A high-waisted jean is a fresh, on-trend look that can be flattering on many different body types.
Here are some things to consider when selecting high-waisted jeans
- High waisted jeans are especially flattering for petites. The higher waistband elongates the body and gives the illusion of longer legs.
- This style is particularly flattering for the hourglass body shape because the higher waistband highlights the smallest part of the body, the waistline.
- Pear body shapes should stick to a darker rinse crop jean paired with a lighter top to draw attention away from the lower body and create balance.
- If you carry weight in your lower belly, a higher waistband can hide it by extending over that area. Look for a waistband that is high enough to cover your belly and choose a substantial stretchy fabric, which can help smooth and flatten your belly.
- The larger amount of fabric in a higher waist jean, can be difficult for the apple body shape. If you tend to be an apple, choose a mid rise cropped jean instead which won’t call attention to your midsection.
- If you are buying in store, sit down in the jeans to make sure they are not too tight at the waist.
Here are ways to style and wear your high-waisted jeans
Wear with a tucked in top to define your waist
Wear a slim shirt that you can tuck in, which will emphasize your waist. You can also wear a button front blouse tied at your waist without the danger of showing any midriff since you’re wearing the higher waist. If you have a rectangle shape the tie can add definition and make you appear as if you have a smaller waistline.
Pair with block heels
A hight waist crop elongates your leg, if you wear with a heel it will make your legs look even longer. You can choose one of the season’s hot trends, a block heel to lengthen your legs and still be more comfortable and easy to walk in.
Pair with a bow neck blouse
Go with the retro feel of high waisted jeans and add a bow-necked blouse. Tie in a loose knot or leave untied for a casual look.
Opt for the bohemian look and pair with a peasant blouse
A peasant blouse tucked into a pair of high-rise jeans looks perfect for spring and summer months. Try a pair of white cropped jeans with a colorful peasant blouse and espadrilles for a stylish warm weather look.
Here are some of our favorite high-waisted jeans and items that pair with them to add to your wardrobe.