When Suzanne Carillo visited me in Amsterdam she shared a great tip. It’s so simple and yet so effective that it may just give you a whole lot more outfit ideas from your wardrobe.
She told me how she would usually mix and match new outfits straight after she bought something new, create pictures of it and document them for later reference.
I thought that was such a brilliant idea. Here is why this works so well.
- When you buy something new, you are really excited about the new item. You want to wear it straight away and will have lots of ideas of how to wear the item. It’s important to create all the outfit ideas when you are still really excited about the item as you will forget about that excitement later when there is a ‘new kid’ on the block…
- You will find that you can come up with lots of ideas in this initial stage.
- Knock yourself out and be crazy creative. Try all kinds of color combinations, silhouettes, layerings, business outfits, casual outfits and subdued outfits. That way you will create a great ‘library’ of outfits that you can pull from when you need inspiration.
- Add all images in a special folder on your harddrive or ipad for instant inspiration if you need it.
I put it to the test with the new top I showed you yesterday as well as some other new clothes I’ve bought.
I found lots of options for this top in my wardrobe already:
- Obvious option is to wear it with my black skinnies.
- I also like to wear it with my wide black pants. I know that many don’t like the wide on wide look but I do!
- It looks great with sand color pants too as I showed you yesterday.
- For that same reason I will also wear the top with both the wide skirt but will wear it with a pencil skirt too.
- I also have 2 printed skirts with red/black or red/fuchsia in them that would create a great arty look.
- I have quite a few options of jewelry to pair with the top.
It’s great fun pairing your new clothes with lots of other items in your closet. Try to be as creative as possible. Try lots of options, photograph it and then keep the images of outfits that you are happy with.
The next time that you feel you have nothing to wear, just look at your library of outfit ideas and pick one.
Do you do this when you have bought new clothes? What is your best tip for creating lots of new outfits quickly?