Fashion, Style & Beauty Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Although you will be able to read all forum content as a guest, posting in this forum requires registration as a member of this site. Membership is free for the use of this forum (premium membership is available at the style course tab). Please note that registration for free membership is now ONLY possible through email subscription, which allows me to send your registration link automatically. Please go to Contact > subscribe and subscribe to the newsletter. Once you have confirmed your email subscription, you will receive a welcome email with your registration link. All current users can login as usual. Just use the login form in the right sidebar.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: hair products recommendations please
Sylvia
Post hair products recommendations please
on: August 28, 2012, 13:24

tangobabe just mentioned that she is constantly looking for the perfect hair products and so am I. Certainly now with my new hairdo I need to manage it. So I will start listing what I have and what works.

Can you do the same? Who knows. It may just help us all find the perfect hair products!

Kerastase nutritive, Oleo-relax: helps with getting the frizz out of hair and gives the hair more shine. It works fairly well and sofar this has been the product I'm most pleased with, even though it's not perfect.

Goldwell, kerasilk, anti-frizz serum: did not like it as much as Kerastase mentioned above, but perhaps I did not give it a fair chance.

Elizeir 79: According to their website "From a distant land with a wealth of history and centuries-old traditions comes Elixir79, the beauty potion that gives your hair the shine and splendour of Gold, the most precious of metals." Have not used this much and should try it on my new hairstyle. I don't think I loved it on my first try...

KMS California, Add volume, volumizing spray. This one will come in very handy with my new hairstyle. It actually works!

Goldwell, sun reflects: helps to protect my hair colouring from the sun. Can't really jugde if this works well or not.

KMS hairplsy, sea salt spray: adds fullness and texture. Have not tried this much as my previous hairstyle dis not need that much volume.

Goldwell, brilliance B, sparkling fix: brilliance hairspray for colour treated hair. Forgot I even had this! Should try again.

Organix, soft & silky vanilla silk, silk serum: to nourish & moisturize, strenghten and seal hair's cuticles, revitalizing hair, creating silky, smooth shiny hair. Ay, forgot about this one too. Somewhere hidden in back of cupboard!

Aesop, rose hair & scalp moisturizing masque: especially for damaged and coloured hair. Should use this more often, but never seem to find the time.

Wow, I never even realised I had this many hair products. Some were bought, others gifted. I have now put them altogether in view so I can try them out a little better.

So what are your best hair products? What helps your hair most? Do you use regular masques? Or do you go for special treatments at the hair dressers.

Let's make this the definitive thread on hair products!

Tangobabe
Pro
Post Re: hair products recommendations please
on: August 28, 2012, 16:03

I don't want frizz, but I DO want my curls, so beazilian blowouts are not for me.

I wash my hair every 3 to 4 days. I use shampoo, conditioner and regularly a mask. When I have applied the conditioner, after letting it sit for several minutes and before rinsing it out, i comb my hair with a wide-toothed comb.

After the washing and conditioning, I let it dry naturally. In between washings I do not comd my hair.

I do have to apply products when it is still wet, once it is dry, and every morning again on dry hair to tame the frizz.

Ok, now I am gonna look at my products and give an overview. I'll be back!

Tangobabe
Pro
on: August 28, 2012, 16:46

For my hair, one of the best brands I have found so far is John Frieda.

They have special series (shampoo, conditioner, serums, etc.) for different hair colors, to start with. For blondes, especially, for colored hair, for damaged hair, for dark hair, etc.

Then within the series they have a big range of products. For on wet hair, dry hair, restoring, styling, etc.

Besides their shampoos and conditioners I especially like their Frizz Ease products, like the serum, the Secret Agent (creme), the LightWeight Solution and the Glossing Mist.

I also like their Full Repair line, like Deep Infusion.

Another brand that has some useful products is L'Oreal, like Smooth Intense.

And Andrelon, the Perfect Curl line.

A friend advised me lately to try L 'oreal Studio Fibre cream and from the same brand the Remix/ styling Paste, but I have not been able to purchase or try any of those yet.

Dr. Oz (from Oprah) said in one of his TVshows that home-made banana-mash (is that the right word?) is the best for on your hair, as a mask.

And a woman with curls mentioned a brazilian product that would be the best: Tanjo, only available in Brazil:-(.

You would say that with 5 to 10 different products that I all use, my hair should be fine, but I keep have to add stuff to my hair every day to keep the worst frizz away, and never succeed completely. Then again, maybe it is just not possible?

Sylvia
on: August 28, 2012, 18:59

Excellent information Anja. Thank you!

Other ladies, I look forward to receiving more recommendations!

GreetjeKam-
minga
on: September 1, 2012, 14:00

I will have a look and come back later with prodcut names.
I don't have that much difficulty with my hair although it is thin, fine and there is not a lot of it.. Gosh, would you all have a good time if I showed you a photo of me without make-up and with my hair just dried by nature. Years ago I went to the hair dresser straight from the beach. I sat there for at least 15 minutes when something got me laughing. I have a very distinctive laugh.
My hair dresser (who was only 2 meters away from me) turned round as if something bit him and said: "oh ... is that you Greetje???!!???" LOL
Now over to serious business.
Always start with a good cut by a top hair dresser. Makes a world of difference. I go to mine every 6 weeks. And in between visits, one of my neighbours colours it with hair dye which I bought at my hair dresser. The same stuff she uses.
After I have washed it with shampoo and treated the ends with conditioner, I put stuff in my wet hair for volume when blowdrying it. I use a round brush to lift my hair and create volume. When it is dry I put a bit of "crude clay" on my skull. I cannot get it in Holland anymore but I still have a lot in stock. And my hair dresser has a new volume spray that "has the same effect as if you backcombed it. Tried it once and it is not bad.
So where are we? Ah, I am browdried with a little bit of crude clay put on my head.
Now I start backcombing it at the top and after that, carefully combing it in a normal shape.
I am done.
Washing my hair twice a week. In between that, I get out of bed, brush it fiercely, backcomb it and comb it into shape. 5 minutes work. And if there is a lot of wind I have to repeat that somewhere in a bathroom.
No frizzyness. If I had Anja's "problem" I would go to a hairdresser for black people. We have a few very good ones in Amsterdam. They know what to do with those curls. No problem.

http://www.nofearoffashion.com

Sylvia
on: September 1, 2012, 18:35

Interesting Greetje. What is crude clay? Also, do you specifically put airconditioning only on the ends? Why not on all the hair?

Tangobabe
Pro
on: September 1, 2012, 20:49

Oh yes, that's right, Greetje, forgot about that tip of the 'black' hairdressers. Will try it out when back in Holland.

GreetjeKam-
minga
on: September 2, 2012, 00:28

Here we go: Crude clay is made by Sebastian in the U.S.A. It says: "raw earth, modeling clay for hair. Creates shapes with a real matte finish. Dig out and rub between hands. Coat hair and sculpt away, or rough up roots for thicker texture."
It is the latter that I do. It is a grey substance and you only use a little bit. Otherwise your hair would go greasy. And we don't want that, now do we?
For blowdrying I now use Sebastian (professional) Mousse Forte, a volume boosting mousse.
Shampoo is by Pureology (serious colour care), Pure Volume shampoo, made in New York.
Conditioner is also Pureology (serious colour care) and it says on the flask: antifade complex, prevolume haircondition/apr├Ęsshampooing. That brand is organic.
Why do I only use conditioning in the ends of my hair? Because it is supposed to prevent and restore split ends and protect your hair. But when you use it all over your hair, it becomes too silky and I need it rough. Otherwise it hangs down too much instead of having volume.

http://www.nofearoffashion.com

Seeker
Advanced
on: September 2, 2012, 01:48

Well..... as I was reading your rituals for your hairs I was thinking that I'm a completely disaster to my hair.
But I guess having a short hairstyle helps...
Well in my routine I wash my hair about every 3 days. I apply an anti-frizz shampoo from Garnier and then an ant-frizz conditioner also from Garnier. I start blow drying my hair with my head down just wearing my hands to create a bit more volume on the top of the head. Then with the head up I use a brush to comb it and make it straight, specially the long points at front. If necessary I use the iron.
The other days I have to iron it every morning because the Island is so humid that I always wake up with my points frizzed and I want it the slick as possible.
About every 6 weeks I go to my hair stylish where I dye it and if necessary I cut a bit to maintain the style, sometimes I change the style. I usually put a treatment cream which I don't know the name.
And that's it.... not too much.

Maxcruz
on: September 8, 2012, 17:27

Earlier my hairs were very rough and thin and Doctor suggested me to use http://www.comvita.co.nz/healthcare/other-skincare/manuka-oil-214.html in my hairs. But, after reading these discussions i feel that crude clay will also work nicely to make my hairs thick enough.

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.076 seconds.