Fashion, Style & Beauty Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Although you will be able to read all forum content as a guest, posting in this forum requires registration as a member of this site. Membership is free for the use of this forum (premium membership is available at the style course tab). Please note that registration for free membership is now ONLY possible through email subscription, which allows me to send your registration link automatically. Please go to Contact > subscribe and subscribe to the newsletter. Once you have confirmed your email subscription, you will receive a welcome email with your registration link. All current users can login as usual. Just use the login form in the right sidebar.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summer flower dress..... and I mean flowers!
Greetje
Post Summer flower dress..... and I mean flowers!
on: August 15, 2012, 02:06

This dress is made of silk. I saw the material in the studio of my seamstress and loved it. So we picked the pattern for the sleeves from one dress, the neckline from another etc.

She made me a simple cotton dress first and after trying that on, she made this dress.
As I was not paying enough attention, the waistline was too high when it was finished. I did not like it and the dress was too short as well. So I asked her to add the purple/blue band in the middle and voila, the dress was ready.

If it had been up to me, I would not have put the big red flower on top of my bosom, but it was too late to alter that.

Tangobabe
Pro
Post Re: Summer flower dress..... and I mean flowers!
on: August 15, 2012, 11:18

The way you combined it with the shoes is perfect. But I m sorry to hv to say tt I don't like the dress. Main reason is the big rose on ur bosom. It somehow makes your upperbody/torso look massive, also in width. Not flattering :-(.
Anxious to see what other forummembers will say.
Too bad, because the idea was good.

Sylvia
on: August 15, 2012, 11:30

How very creative of you Greetje to have this dress made. It was such a clever idea to add the waist band. There are a lot of things I like about it. The model suits you really well, the colours are great and the length is perfect. As you say though the placement of the big flower on your bust is not ideal. Also on the picture the neckline does not seem straight? I still think it's a fun and lovely summer dress. So nice with your shoes!

Greetje
on: August 15, 2012, 13:30

Has any of you a creative idea what I can do to neutralize the effect of the big red flower?
The neckline is straight Sylvia, it is just a bit like this in the photo because I had my bag on one shoulder.

Tangobabe
Pro
on: August 15, 2012, 14:50

The neckline looks not straight on all of these pictures. How come then? And how to solve the big flower bosom....difficult. I see no 'easy' ways. Only to either replace the bosom part with another fabric, or to place another fabric 'over' that part. But how nice would that work out? Questionable:-(. Maybe some of the other ladies has a better idea? Or maybe others quite like it, like Sylvia does?

Greetje
on: August 15, 2012, 15:57

No Sylvia does not like the flower on the bosom. She is just very mild in her words ("not ideal").
As for the neckline, I forgot to adjust the dress after I had put down the bag. The middle left photo was taken before I used the bag. You can see that it is straight in that picture. It does mean however, that the dress is also a bit too tight over the bosom. Otherwise you need not to adjust it....
Sigh.

Greetje
on: August 15, 2012, 16:07

Solved it.
I phoned the seanstress and she still has some material left. She is going to replace the front panel.

Sylvia
on: August 15, 2012, 16:25

Great Greetje. If she can get that right, then the dress will be perfect!

Seeker
Advanced
on: August 16, 2012, 04:55

How great that you had solved the problem of the big flower bosom with other part of the pattern. To tell you the truth I didn't like it very much too, Greetje.
But the waist band, the hem length and the full skirt were such great ideas, so with the replacement I suppose the dress will be fantastic. Looking forward to see the final result.

Greetje
on: August 16, 2012, 12:24

Thank you Seeker. I appreciate your honesty. Hopefully the end result will be good.

Marianne
Pro
on: August 16, 2012, 23:43

I agree with all the others, I don't like the dress, the skirt part is ok, but I don't like the shape of the top not only because of the flower but the rest as well, when I look at your other 2 dresses with the dots, they suit you much more. Because the print is so present I would simplify the top all together, just an oval neckline.

Tangobabe
Pro
on: August 17, 2012, 15:37

I agree 100% with Marianne!

Greetje
on: August 17, 2012, 15:41

Girls, girls... there is only so much I can alter. But I get your idea. This dress is so me. I have taken all the things I like (sleeves, neckline, skirt, material/print) and put it all together instead of focussing on one thing and let that shine. I promise I will try and do better in future.

Sylvia
on: August 17, 2012, 21:25

I agree Greetje. I can only applaud that you were very creative and had your own dress made. I think that if the rose is gone and the pattern is more similar to the rest of the dress, it will be a fabulous dress. Also practice makes perfect, the more you do this kind of thing the better you will get at it! Looking forward to seeing your next project!

Marianne
Pro
on: August 17, 2012, 23:30

The pattern of the dress is so nice , that makes the dress, therefore it needs no complicated model.I would like to see it again when you have changed it, so we can give you an applause for your first attempt to design a dress.

Greetje
on: August 17, 2012, 23:54

Haha, I will see how much material she has got left and what possibilities there are.

And it might come as a surprise to you all but I can actually sew. I made very complicated things like skirts with pleats and lined jackets. But I am not very good at it. If the pattern is not quite right, I cannot change it to fit. The most important thing I have got against it, is that I don't like it anymore after I have been working on it for 24 manhours.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34; Page loaded in: 0.091 seconds.

Comments on this entry are closed.